Consider Joining our Growing Team
User Experience Lead
Incorporated in 2000, Green River is a custom web application development firm with a strong engineering focus, dedicated to social equity and environmental protection. We are a rapidly growing team of software engineers, user experience designers, visual designers, project managers, and office staff. Our current clients include Starbucks Corporation, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the State of Delaware, the City of Boston, and many outstanding non-profit organizations. We are located in scenic downtown Brattleboro, Vermont, have an office in Northampton, Massachusetts, and have a growing number of remote staff around the country.
We look for team members who believe in working to make the world a better place, yet bring a grounded professionalism appropriate to our clients and the scale of our projects.
The Green River User Experience Lead will work with our clients to understand their needs in detail, and guide them and our internal team towards a shared understanding of the metrics of success and theory of change. While user testing and research is an important job, user advocacy is a culture. We want our UX Lead to ensure we design software with a Human-Centered approach to have the most social impact in our work.
We’re looking for a team member who will work with us in the following areas:
- Lead design workshops with clients for a range of purposes, including: identify business goals and customer needs, ideate on design principles, establish information architecture, identify success metrics, and refine interface sketches.
- Facilitate strategy sessions to identify minimum viable product to create and end-to-end experience for early use, feedback-gathering, and iteration.
- Plan generative and evaluative user research, including: participant recruiting strategy and screeners, interview and/or testing protocols, pre- and post-session surveys, field study observation plans, physical location or remote connection logistics, and follow-up analysis and synthesis work sessions.
- Provide effort and schedule estimates for all work.
- Provide user research training to engineers and clients so they can participate in research sessions and grow their own investigative practice.
- Provide accessibility training to clients to help them understand who is affected, plain language techniques, image description best practices, and video transcription options.
- Execute quantitative user research (usability tests, surveys, A/B testing, card sorts) to identify areas for improvement and further investigation.
- Execute qualitative user research (user interviews, contextual inquiries, diary studies).
- Lead participatory design sessions with end users.
- Lead research synthesis work sessions with teammates, including engineers, technical leads, and project managers, as well as clients, to identify motivations, needs, emotions, skills, thinking processes, comprehension, and language among stakeholders and target audiences.
- Report on user research findings: create summaries, concept maps, personas, journey maps, flow maps, swim lane diagrams, site maps, and other visualizations to support team understanding and further ideation.
- Perform website visits analyses to identify successes and areas for improvement and further research.
- Create wireframes and prototypes of user interface screens for use in team collaboration on feasibility, support of previously identified goals, effectiveness, efficiency, and satisfaction.
- Design data visualizations.
- Provide detailed implementation instructions for engineers, including user-based rationale for functionality.
- Collaborate with engineers when adjustments are needed.
- Perform quality assurance (QA) testing for fidelity to design intent.
- Lead demos for clients; provide testing suggestions and timeframes for client QA. Participate in Agile project management: weekly client meetings, internal meetings, sprint planning, and backlog grooming.
- Support clients in performing content inventories and audits, and in hiring content strategists.
- Manage design operations: Identify processes related to design source file version control and sharing; prototype development and sharing with engineers and clients; modular design pattern system maintenance.
- Business Development: Participate in project bids and sales: Develop product domain understanding, create visualizations, and write/edit proposals. Participate in presentations to potential clients.
We’re looking for someone with 7+ years experience in user experience research and design including:
- Collaborating with stakeholders and engineers to define business problems and prototype solutions
- Distributed collaboration, including remote ideation on ux design
- Conducting user research studies, including recruiting, in-person and remote interviews and usability observations
- Solving complex information architecture problems
- Creating wireframes, mock-ups, and data visualizations
- Designing for accessibility
- Creating design systems or pattern libraries
- Integrating design into agile or lean product development processes
Some things people love about working at Green River:
- Commitment to advancing equity in society
- Creative team who value a workplace where you can learn and laugh
- Long-term relationships with smart, engaged clients
We offer a competitive salary, 100% health insurance coverage, 5 weeks paid time off, and retirement benefits.
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and portfolio (or link to online portfolio) to email@example.com
Green River is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with our beliefs and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Green River will not discriminate against employees or clients based on race, creed, color, ethnic origin, nationality, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or disability.
Get in Touch
167 Main Street, Suite 103
Brattleboro, VT 05301